Electric Tankless water heater is a water heating machine powered by electricity. When it comes to installation spots, it is more flexible and can constantly provide the hot water supply to you. To help you out in making a good choice, we have created a detailed guide for tankless electric water heaters reviews. You can go through each type and make a good buying decision.
Best Electric Tankless Water Heater in 2019 (as per users)
Our reviews have been collected from different sources and specially from Amazon. These are mix reviews from the users. You can go through each and every point carefully and then only decide, which electricity powered water heater is best for you.
1. Rheem RTEX-13 240V Heating Chamber Residential Tankless Water Heater
- 4gpm Flow Rate: This unit reaches to a maximum flow rate of 4 gallons per minute. It is quite high as compared to other electric tankless water heaters variant. It is perfect for single bathroom use only as the power is low.
- Easy-to-Use Control Panel: The LED light and digital control panel makes it super-easy for the users to operate it. The temperature is shown on the small screen and can be adjusted by dial settings.
- Short Waiting Time: It hardly takes 15 seconds for hot water to flow to the tap or your shower. The water temperature always stays stable and you never have to worry about running out of hot water while taking the bath.
- You save good amount of money in long run and in installation too.
- The setup is easy to install, taking only an hour.
- It cuts down your electricity bill.
- Its multi-standard wires make the connection much easier.
- You get endless hot water supply.
- It is easy to handle and operate.
- It is perfect choice for families or bachelors living in studio apartment.
- It cannot be used in more than one bathroom. You need to install a separate electric water heater on other bathrooms.
2. EcoSmart ECO 27 Electric Tankless Water Heater
- Good Temperature Range: The temperature range of this heating machine is around 80 to 140 degrees Fahrenheit. It is a good choice to meet the demand of family of 4-6 people. But many customer reviews claim that the temperature cannot be set correctly as claimed by EcoSmart.
- 6gpm Flow Rate: In warm places, this tankless electric water heating machine delivers a flow rate of 6 gallons per minute. The flow rate might drop to 3gpm when the machine is used in cold areas. It can easily be used in two bathrooms simultaneously and be the best choice for mid-sized family.
- Easy-to-operate Control Panel: One can easily adjust the temperature by increasing/decreasing one degree at a time. Its self-modulating technology ensures that the heater draws energy only when you are using it.
- It saves around 50% of water heating cost.
- It is made up of copper and stainless-steel components which are rust free.
- One can easily replace the heating elements.
- It saves around 12 cubic feet in installation.
- You get endless hot water supply.
- It can easily work well for two bathrooms.
- It cannot produce pipe hot water at high flow rate.
- The temperature cannot be set accurately as claimed by EcoSmart.
3. Stiebel Eltron Tempra Plus 24 kW Electric Tankless Water Heater
- 5gpm Flow Rate: This unit is capable of delivering 5gpm flow rate and can support two bathrooms simultaneously. It is also capable of raising water by 54 degrees Fahrenheit at a flow rate of 3gpm.
- Highly Energy Efficient: The energy efficiency of this unit reaches to 99%. So, no water or energy is wasted as in case of most of the electric water heater units. It is also one of the most technically advanced tankless heaters that is built with advanced flow control modules regulating the water pressure automatically.
- Stable Temperature: The advanced flow control system is also installed to control the constant water temperature in different flow level. It is quite suitable for people in the need of occasional hot water. You can also use it as commercial water heater.
- It can be used for both commercial and residential purposes.
- Its self-modulating technology makes it energy efficient.
- Its parts are made with high quality.
- It works quietly without making any noise.
- It also supports full-power modulation.
- It is ideal in area where the supplied water is under 45 degrees F.
- It is bit difficult to install.
- It requires 240v power supply and heavy-duty wiring.
4. Bosch Tronic 2.5-Gallon Electric Mini-Tank Water Heater
- Mini Tank for Point of Use: The water flow rate is around 2.5 gallons per minute. It is compact and light-weight in size. Therefore, you can install it right under the sink for point of use. The hot water can be supplied to two sinks simultaneously. Though, you cannot use it in the bathroom for shower, it’s still good for sinks.
- Fast Water Flow: As it is point of use type tankless electric water heater, the distance between the tap and heater is extremely short. Therefore, the waiting time for hot water is largely reduced and you get the supply instantly. Also, less cold water is wasted, and the water bills can be reduced to large extent.
- Easy to Use: One can operate this device easily. All you have to do is plug it into the power outlet. No complicated machinery is required. Installation takes about an hour. Also, it can wall hung or floor mounted as per your comfort.
- You get hot water instantly.
- It is easy to install and use.
- The heater has got compact design.
- It can be hung on wall or can be floor mounted.
- It has a small glass-lined tank for long life service.
- You get endless hot water supply.
- It is not suitable for large houses.
- It lacks consistency of water temperature.
5. Sio Green SIO14 Electric Tankless Water Heater
- 3gpm Water Flow Rate: The water flow rate of this electric tankless water heater is a bit low i.e. around 3 gallons per minute. In cold areas, it can only support a single sink, but not a shower. In warm regions, it can easily support single bathroom and a sink simultaneously.
- Corrosion-Less: Its technology has been patented and this is the reason why it creates heat without having direct contact with metals. It is one of the best point-of-use electric tankless water heater that can be used for tiny or small homes. It delivers endless hot water supply and you don’t have to worry about running out of hot water.
- Compact Shape & Size: It weighs just 26.9 pounds. It can be used anywhere because of its compact shape. It uses 110-volt or 220-volt power supply. The advanced technology used in its making enables it to heat water only when needed.
- You get endless hot water supply.
- It is equipped with automatic power supply technology.
- One can install it easily in house.
- It can be widely used for RV, sink or storage purposes.
- It is corrosion resistive.
- It requires very little maintenance.
- The temperature displayed on the screen is in degree C, not in degree F.
6. Marey ECO150 220V/240V-14.6kW Tankless Water Heater
- Little Water Pressure is Required: This water unit requires small water pressure and can provide you constant hot water supply.
- Easy to Operate: The machine is well-equipped with smart technology. It comes with adjustable LCD panel enabling you to increase/decrease the temperature. It uses minimal amount of energy without wasting it.
- No Standby Loss: The machine only heats water when it is required. This means that there is no loss of energy when the machine is in standby mode.
- It uses smart technology to optimize energy usage.
- It is suitable for tiny houses.
- It requires less amount of electricity.
- There are no standby loses as water is only heated when required.
- The installation is bit complex and requires assistance of plumber or electrician.
Definition: What is Electric Tankless Water Heater?
Tankless electric water heater is widely used water heating machine that operates on electricity as major source to heat the water. As compared to gas tankless water heater, it avoids ventilation facilities problems as no direct carbon dioxide is emitted.
Electric Tankless Water Heaters Pros
- Instant Hot Water Supply: One of the commendable features of electric tankless water heater is that it supports endless hot water supply. Unlike the tank water heater, no water gets stored in tank. So, you don’t have to worry about running short of hot water.
- Highly Energy Efficient: All electric tankless water heaters listed here only work when hot water is needed. On an average, this type of heater saves around 60% of energy.
- Eco-Friendly: The heating time of water and using time of machine is quite low. So, the water heating process consumes less electricity, and this proves to be eco-friendly.
- Easy to Install: As it is powered with electricity, you don’t need venting kits. It can be installed just anywhere, indoor or outdoor, based on your requirements.
- Space Saver: As there is no tank, it is designed in compact shape. Also, it is light weight due to absence of tank. It occupies only small space and can serve your purpose. It can be easily installed in any type of home.
Tankless Electric Water Heater Cons
- Low Water Flow Rate: The electric water heater is not very powerful as compared to natural gas tankless water heater. The average flow rate of these type of water heaters is around 2.5 gallons per minute and it can meet the demand of just one bathroom, most of the times. This is the reason why most of the electric water heaters are point of use.
Factors to Consider While Buying the Best Electric Tankless Water Heaters
The top electric tankless water heaters can save a large amount of energy costs for you as they are energy efficient in working. The price of any machine is one of the primary concerns for any people while buying a product. You should also look for several other factors while going for the best electric tankless water heaters.
As you know, tankless water heaters do not need tank for preheating. So, you don’t need to worry about the capacity. You must estimate the average amount of water required by your home according to your daily needs and then only choose among the options available for you.
2. Flow Rate
The flow rate of an electric tankless water heater characterizes the power of heating machine or the gallons of water it can provide per minute. The unit of measuring the flow rate is abbreviated as GPM. You can also pay attention to the British Thermal Units, commonly abbreviated as BTU. The higher the BTU, the larger will be the flow rate.
3. Energy Efficiency
Most of the electric heaters are highly energy efficient and can save up to 60% of energy costs every month. The heating bills that were always on a high mark can be saved. The average thermal efficiency of electric water heaters without tank is around 78-85%.
You should choose the type of electric heater based on the location of your home. If you are living in some cold area, you need to have large water flow type as the flow rate will drop around 2-3gpm if you are living in colder areas.
5. Smart Functions
Most of the smart functions such as self-diagnostic, overheating sensor and few others help the machine to turn off automatically in dangerous situations. For outdoor installation, your heater should have freeze protection, especially in colder places. You should always look for such functions.
Electric Tankless Water Heater Cost
The electric tankless water heater costs majorly include two aspects – the price of heating machine and other costs involved in installation etc.
Electric tankless Water Heater Prices
As compared with propane tankless water heaters, the tankless electric water heaters are much cheaper. As they are designed for point-of-use, the power and flow rate are not large. Therefore, they can easily fall in anyone’s budget. If you are considering buying the electric water heater without tank then most of them are readily available under $1000.
The using costs should also be considered while buying this machine. The upfront price of electric tankless water heater can be quite cheaper, but the installation and maintenance costs as well as the heating costs can be higher can be higher than the gas water heaters without tank.
Top 3 Best Electric Water Heaters
- Best Selling Type – Rheem RTEX-13 240V Tankless Water Heater
- Best Electric Heater for Mid-Sized family – EcoSmart ECO 27 Electric Tankless Water Heater
- Most Technologically Advanced Water Heater – Stiebel Eltron Tempra Plus 24 Tankless Water Heater
Types of Electric Tankless Water Heaters
1. Whole House Tankless Water Heaters
In a day-to-day life, one might need hot water in both the bathrooms for taking a shower and in kitchen too to wash the dishes. In these cases, you need to install a whole house tankless water heater. This machine is capable of meeting the hot water needs of entire house. The different sizes of home require different whole house water heaters. For a large family living in a big house with 3-4 bathrooms, a large flow type water heater is required. A small electric water heater is perfect for tiny houses with single bathroom.
2. Portable Electric Tankless Water Heater
These portable tankless water heaters are light in weight and have very small flow rate. They can be carried and installed anywhere. They are well-suited for traveling and camping. You can use it in RV (recreational vehicles). We have created detailed reviews on portable electric tankless water heaters. You can check them for more information if you have an interest.
3. Outdoor Electric Tankless Water Heaters
The outdoor tankless water heaters are usually installed outdoors, outside the wall of the bathroom. They mostly have built-in freeze protection system, helping the machine to protect itself from freezing cold weather. Some of them are also equipped with enclosure such as the rain cap, to prolong services of these heaters.
Electric vs Gas Tankless Water Heaters
1. Energy Efficiency
The electric water heaters and gas type tankless water heaters are normally designed to save energy. However, the tankless gas water heaters are 3 times more efficient as compared to the electric type.
The purchasing price of tankless water heater is much cheaper than the gas type and it is perfect for a small or mid-sized family. But in long run, you can save the heating costs using the gas tankless water heaters.
The electric tankless water heaters are easy to install as they are not subjected to pipeline or ventilation system. Thus, they can be installed anywhere. But, for the gas type, you need proper ventilation.
4. Power and Flow Rate
The tankless electric power heaters are less powerful as compared to the gas heaters and their average flow rate is around 3gpm. The gas type heaters can support multiple bathrooms and faucets at a time. Some of the gas type heaters without tank can deliver flow rate as good as 9gpm.
Gas tankless water heaters make use of natural gas or propane as major source of power. They are clean sources and do not harm the environment but emit carbon dioxide during the process. On other hand, the electric type doesn’t emit Carbon dioxide directly, but have a bade influence on environment in a longer run.
Electric Tankless Water Heater Problems
If you consider the purchasing price of electric water heaters, then it is not very high. Most of the, can be purchased around $500-600. But why they are expensive? They require good wiring system for your home, and it consumes a large amount of money. Also, though they are energy efficient, heating bills will cost you much as compared to gas types.
Not Effective in Colder Regions
When you are using the electric type of heaters without tank in colder areas, you will find that they are not cost effective and deliver lower flow rate than normal. They might not be able to support whole house.
Electric Tankless Water Heater Installation Guide
The electric tankless water heater installation process is not easy. The working performance of the heater might get affected if not installed properly. If it operates wrongly, it may leak out or break. So, here are certain tips to install the electric type heater.
- Most of the electric tankless water heaters are indoor installation type only. They can also be installed outdoor if manufacturers allow it. But only the outdoor type heaters can be installed in outdoors as they can fight the adverse weather conditions without getting hit by those extreme conditions.
- It is better to install these heaters near main power panel or application fixture for indoor installation. The distance between the heater and the water tap determines the waiting time for hot water. Longer waiting time corresponds to higher bills. You must install them near the point of use so that hot water delivers in just a few seconds and less cold water gets wasted.
- If you install electric water heater in your bathroom, ensure that there is safe distance between the heating machine and shower. This will keep the machine dry. Keep it away from moisture to improve its lifespan.
- The electric water heater without tank must be installed in the areas where it is easily accessible.
- You should always follow the instructions carefully and must not cover the heating device with anything.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I install Electric Tankless Water Heater Outside?
There are different types of electric water heaters. You should carefully look through the instructions written on the manual before installing any electric type heater outside. Only if manufacturer says that the model is good to be installed outside, then only you can install it outside.
Are electric tankless water heater worth it?
The electric tankless water heaters are energy efficient and have longer life. They can last for as long as 20 years with little maintenance. Therefore, if you are short of money, or don’t have pipeline in your home, you can always go with electric type heaters without a tank. They are highly energy efficient and are made of up of high quality.
How good are electric type tankless water heaters?
These heaters are light in weight and are high energy efficient. They save a lot of space because of their compact design. You can install it anywhere. It saves you a lot of money in buying and installation as you don’t have to install the ventilation system.
Do electric tankless water heaters need ventilation?
No, only the gas or propane type of electric water heaters need ventilation.
Are electric tankless water heaters money saver?
Of course, they can save a good amount on your energy bills. They save around 60% of energy and 30% of costs every month.
The Bottom Line
So, we have listed the best electric tankless water heaters above and guided you well to buy the most energy efficient heaters according to your requirements. It is totally up to you which type of heater you want to buy and what all factors you will consider while buying these heaters. Make a good buying decision and get constant hot water supply using these water heating machines.